Saturday 20 July 2013

Ad Mech WIP 2

Oh hello again . . .Wasn't expecting to be doing one of these again so soon.


I'm never going to finish this assignment at this rate. . . but I will have a finished knight, so its not a complete waste.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with it to be honest, especially that white space behind the head, everything else is curved, and its just a panel of negative space. I'll admit I've just been making it up as I go along so the continuity of ideas is a bit disjointed.

The head is a cast of the SM apocalypse upgrade sensor cut in half, a half again removed and glued back together, there still needs to be some smoothing, but I have to wait for the GS to cure.

The torso has been filled out some, managed to fit a cog motif into the detailing, there will be some more on the shoulders to come. Replaced the tabard with something grander, more space for free hand.


I bought a small bag of brass cogs from watches from a seller on ebay, and they've come in handy for some quick detailing. The shield will be split into thirds, with more free hand on the top two thirds split vertically.

I have a design for a shoulder cannon teasing me in the back of my brain, I just can't seem to get it to work in plastic or putty yet. plus I still don't know which shoulder to put it on, and once i do, what to do with the other shoulder.

The one thing I am worried about is that the head looks a bit too "tau". I blame the riptide, I wouldn't be thinking it if it didn't exist.

Any ideas or comments on my wandering thought processes would be greatly appreciated.

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see it painted !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still a bit of modelling to go, but me either!

      Delete
  2. Nice! That is brilliant! You might be able to add a couple small sensors or lights on the upper corners of the back plate behind the head to break up the flat expanse a bit, or maybe some cabling? I am loving this build - great work, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, good ideas there, I definitely need to do something with the area, and 40k loves vents!

      Definitely adding some cabling too, I bought one of those GS putty cable making tools, keen to try it out in a more controlled manner then carnifex entrails :)

      Delete
  3. Nice work. I think a mass of cableing coming out of the back of the head is the way to eliminate the "Tau" effect.

    The flat part behind the head looks ideal for either an imperial eagle, or a scrollwork nameplate.

    Shoulder gun: make it work like an inquisitor's shoulder gun, and have it track the head of the knight. Left shoulder gets a smoke launcher, or a searchlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Good idea mate. Like you suggest, the head will be getting a bunch of cables running back into the torso area, hopefully this will get rid of the tau look.

      I'm trying to steer away from using imperial eagles too much, I want to be able to run these guys as a HH force too once they have enough background and rules. Also I don't see the ad mech using it as much as say the IG, since it is a devotional symbol of the imperial cult. More cogs for my guys I think.

      Good idea, smoke launchers and search;light are definitely going on now.

      Delete
  4. This thing is BADASS! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First up wonderful conversion. I love it and I wish I had an ounce of your kitbashing talent. Second, if you look at the head in isolation it does scream Tau but NOT in the zoomed out photo showing the whole model. The overall aesthetic is overwhelmingly Imperial. Perhaps when the head is painted it will stand out less as well?

    For the white bit behind the head, can I suggest an Imperial Aquila from any of the Rhino varient kits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou very much :) I'm sure you could do it mate, I started from nothing. All it takes is practice and a willingness to experiment and occasionally cut yourself ;P
      The forums/blogs are actually a really good place to find inspiration, and techniques. I found starting small with a head swap, weapon swap minor GS work and building from there is the way I got started.
      I hope that doesn't sound too patronising, I don't mean to be.

      As for the blank bit, I would agree if this were a purley imperial vehicle, however as a mechanicum vehicle, and trying to use it in the HH as well, I am trying to avoid imperial eagles, I see them like a crucifix for the imperial faith, and you would be unlikey to see them on a vehicle worshipping the ommnisah.

      Delete