Sunday, 13 January 2013


I promised some pics of the WIP Sons of Horus, and I'm delivering.

Recently I was hanging out at my mate Johns place, and seeing the amazing work hes put into his FW city fight tiles (seen here @ The Painting Bunker) has spurred me on to start the sons again.

Now I've always been one of those people that eats desert before the main meal, and I tend to get carried away. So when the opportunity came up to buy a spartan I didn't even blink.

This thing is a beast. However the instructions, unlike most FW products, are lacking in the details. This lead to a colossal fuck up on my part and I glued two section of track on the wrong way round. The lesson here people is to always dry fit you expensive FW models before committing glue to resin.

One thing I cant stand about the design of these Pre heresy heavy tank models is the tracks. There is no conceivable way that those things generate enough traction to move something that is supposed to weigh in excess of 100 tonnes. 240 pieces and 2.5 feet of 1.5x1.5mm plastic stripe later I had tracks that even if they might not actually work, at least look to me like they would.

After several choice words, a walk around the house to calm down, and a failed attempt to break the bonded pieces off (resulting only in snapped track sections), I came up with idea of adding track guards and assault launchers to cover up my mistake.

Now I've done it I wouldn't have it any other way. I think it just looks so tough. Like a M1A2 Abrams with the full TUSK upgrade. In that vein, I scratched up one of the command frames from apoc that came with my emperors fist tank company, and stole the SM sensor suite to make a remote weapons unit. I mounted the Hunter killer and a multimelta from the FW Pre-heresy heavy weapons pack onto it.
This was then magnetised into the top plate for the heavy bolters.

I should also mention that I magnetised Quad lasers, and their mounts for ease of transport and pose ability. An interesting thing to note is that 2x 3mm/1mm magnets fit perfectly in the holes the lascannons are supposed to mount too. I had to get alittle more creative with the sponson mounts.

All in all I cant wait to paint this beast, and expect to have it finished soon.

I should also post this, because it boggles the mind.

Almost 3/4 of a kilo, or a pound and a half to my American friends. Heavy support indeed!

Til next time.


  1. That. Is. Epic.

    Amazing job, really love the assault launchers!

    I'm looking forward to seeing how you paint the beast.

    1. Thankyou very much :) I'm really happy with how this cover up came out, I don't think I'd be as happy with the stock model at all.