Wednesday 15 April 2015

Razors edge

So that didn't take long now did it . . .

This is my favourite shot of the razorwing
There's something about painting one model and just having the scheme "click", it reaffirms your joy of the hobby. This is the first model I have painted for ALONG time that hasn't had a tournament or list derived goal as the end state.It makes me think these INQ28 guys are onto something, might have to try my hand at a few conversions just because.

The statues on the base are a bit cliched for DE, but I love them
Its not shown very well in the photos (unless you zoom right in) but some of the spray went a bit speckly, I can only assume this is due to too much pressure, paint that was too thick, or the needle of my airbrush is bent, or a combination of all the above.
But as far as the Table top goal of the army is concerned I'm super happy with how the scheme has translated to the model that inspired me to pick up DE in the first place.


As with the venom, the glass on the canopy is a place holder until I can get some masking fluid and come up with a canopy scheme that compliments the tones of the body. I'm undecided on engine OSL as well.


I don't know why. but spraying the stand for the base makes the model look less like a toy to me.

There's another post in the chamber on tyranids coming up, but I doubt I'll get to paint anything in the next month or 2 as uni ramps up for exams, but procrastination may get the better of me.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Super quick reply, thanks mate, I'm really happy with it :)

      Delete
  2. I like how the trailing edges go black. It gives an effect like the eye can't keep up with the velocity of the model. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yeah its a really pleasing effect, and feels right. I could explain it awy as the coming night, or the inevitable night or something in the fluff.

      Delete
  3. That is a lovely looking razorwing. I really
    Like the graduated lines you have going on the blending

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, I'm reall happy with how the scheme translated to the razor wing, now I just need to test it on a raider chassis.

      Delete
  4. Very cool model...can't decide either if the engine needs OSL(would go for a blue one if I had to).
    Would be very interested to know how you did the base which I'm quite fawned of. (I know I've seen those rock sculpture heads somewhere but can't remember...)
    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found this on your blog(that's if it's the same recipe):
      "Bases are done with Tamiya dark yellow, followed by a drybrush of bone, then a watered down wash of gryphonne sepia."

      Delete
    2. Thankyou mate, I would go for a blue osl too if I do one, it just feels right.

      The ruined statues heads are from scibor miniatures, I think they suit eldar wonderfully.

      That's the paint scheme for the bases alright, there's a final drybrush of bone at the end just to pick out the details after the wash.

      Delete
  5. Daaaang! That turned out looking phenomenal, man - great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beauty. You can't possibly have done any revision for those exams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I did nothing. The model was just taunting me, and I kept saying "10 more minutes, ten more minutes" as I was painting it.

      Delete