Monday 26 January 2015

Sons of Horus Reinforcements

G'day everyone, sorry for the lack of updates, but I am updating now, so get off my back Matt.

As seems to be my MO, a tournament provided the impetus to get the latest batch of models completed for this army.

I required 1850 points (40k) to play, and only had 1000 points painted at the time, and being generous, and organised as I am, I only gave myself 21 days to paint the remaining points. . . .

But I did it!

So presented here are the finished pics, because in the made rush I didn't take any WIP pics worth posting (also tried a new background/new way of photgrapghing the minis, I'm not sold on it though, I think the sun was causing too many shadows)


First up we have a repaint of the drop pods from my Khorne angels force. I didn't even re prime them, just sprayed them in SoH green mix and went from there.

These were used by one of my Dreadnoughts and the veterans squad.

Speaking of veterans



I used the breacher marines to represent DA veterans with combat shields, not the most cost effective choice, but they were fun, and never failed to blow up something big. If I were to paint them again, I would cut the 6mm tape I used to the hazard stripes in half, they just look slightly too big for infantry.




Next we have the second completed tactical squad, the lascannon is singly overpriced and ineffective in my hands, I think it took 2 hull points off the entire tournament.

Finally, one of my favourite tanks in all of 40k, and a staple of every SM list I have ever run.




Vindicator!

S10 pie plates just scare the pants off of the enemy, and I'm not scared to call in danger close fire missions either.

The list for anyone who was interested was:

HQ:
Azreal *(Ravenwing and Deathwing as troops)
= 215

ELITES:
Dreadnought – 100

-          Multimelta -0
-          Powerfist - 0
-          Venerable  - 15

Drop pod – 35
= 150

Dreadnought – 100

-          2x Autocannons - 20
-          Venerable  - 15

= 135

Veterans x7 – 126

-          Combat shields x7 -35
-          Meltagun – 10
-          Combi-melta x3 – 30
-          Power weapon – 15

Drop pod – 35

= 246

TROOPS:
*Deathwing terminators x5 – 220

-          Chainfist – 5
-          Assault cannon – 20

= 245

Dedicated transport – Landraider - 250

-          Deathwing upgrade – 30
-          Hunterkiller Missile – 10
-          Multimelta – 10

=300

Tactical Squad #1 x9 - 126

-          Vet Sgt – 5
-          Power sword – 15
-          Plasmagun – 15
-          Missile Launcher + Flakk – 25

Rhino – 35
-          Hunterkiller Missile – 10

=229

Tactical Squad #2 x10 – 140

-          Vet Sgt – 5
-          Power sword – 15
-          Plasmagun – 15
-          Lascannon – 25

= 195

“Strange, is it not, that so many I wish beside me stand against me, while at my back are only the flawed and damaged. I am a master of broken monsters."
HEAVY SUPPORT:                                                                                                         -Horus Lupercal
Vindicator – 125
-          Seige shield - 10

= 135

Thanks for looking, hope to have something more to post soon. 

13 comments:

  1. I am in love with that weathering and chipping you did.... wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, its actually a really easy technique to do, and I recommend everyone atleast try sponge weathering.

      Delete
  2. I'd say the wider hazard stripes aren't too much of a problem if you view them more as heraldry and as you're using a Dark Angel list then it's quite a appropriate. I get why you would do them smaller but they do work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, hadn't thought of them as heraldry, that's an interesting take. Truth be told I only used the DA codex so I could have terminators as troops lol.

      Delete
  3. See, doesn't that feel better now to get them up in a post?

    Looking good. You need to get some decent army shots though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel better after getting that off my chest, thanks dear, you'r nagging is appreciated ;)

      I will work on and army shot for you now, see never satisfied.

      Delete
  4. Love the weathering...that green turquoise color is absolutely lovely to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, Its been a divisive colour in some quarters, some love it and some hate it.

      Delete
  5. Very cool sheep! Would be amazing to see a group picture of the entire army! PS. we've recently established a new base for our modeling operations, incase you have yet to check it out: http://ironsleet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Migs! I'll get around to that ASAP, as its something I've always struggled to do with all my armies.

      I know about that site, and have seen all your work, and you very talented crew, just haven't managed to comment.
      And I must admit, your artistic take on 40k painting and that of the rest of the crew has made me think hard about what I want to do with my next project.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic stuff, as always. I was never a fan of weathering until I saw your stuff. Now I must try it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really impressed with your whole colour scheme and the overall effect. Ive been through your posts and comments and seen that you use Vallejo tank crew and astronomican grey, plus the weathering sponge effect but I cant find anywhere how you shade the green. I can see traces of a wash, either during the green phase or the dirtying phase in your painting, but what colour do you use for that?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mate, the shading is done during the dirtying phase and is a combination of oil paints: lamp black and burnt umber. The shading effects come from when it's rubbed off and thinned with white spirits.

      Hope that helps.

      Delete