Thursday 10 May 2012

Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated. . .


So its been along time since blog posts, life has a strange habit of kicking me in the arse every 2 years, and last month my number came up again.

During my first night off, and several beverages I managed to compound dislocate my left ankle, this left me in hospital for over a week, and laid up in bed for 2 more after that.

Not pretty huh?
Since then however, I have been reminded by my mates that I made another stupid army painting based bet, and with 16 days to go, I have to paint 1750ish points of tyranids!


Heres the list:
Tyranids 1750

HQ:
Tervigon -160
Scything talons - 5
Adrenal glands - 10
Toxin sacs - 10
Catalyst - 15
Onslaught - 15
Cluster spines -0
-215

Tervigon -160
Scything talons - 5
Adrenal glands - 10
Toxin sacs - 10
Catalyst - 15
Onslaught - 15
Cluster spines - 0
-215

ELITES:
Doom of malantai - 90
Mycetic pod - 40
-130

TROOPS:
Tervigon -160
Scything talons - 5
Adrenal glands - 10
Toxin sacs - 10
Catalyst - 15
Onslaught - 15
Cluster spines - 0
-215

Tervigon -160
Scything talons - 5
Adrenal glands - 10
Toxin sacs - 10
Catalyst - 15
Onslaught - 15
Cluster spines - 0
-215

Termagants x 12 - 60

Termagants x 11 - 55

HEAVY SUPPORT
Mawloc - 170
Adrenal glands - 15
-185

Mawloc - 170
Adrenal glands - 15
-185

Tyrannofex - 250
Rupture cannon - 15
Electro-shock grubs - 0
Cluster spines - 0
Adrenal glands - 10
-275

Total -1750

Kill points = 11


So on to the real reason I hope you read this blog, the minis.

The test scheme I knocked together this afternoon: I apologise for the quality of the picture, the light was terrible.




Things I think I need to improve:

- The transition of colour on the jaws/weapon.- The bio bits on the weapons, flesh tone seemed a good idea, but it might need a further highlight.- Carapace, needs another highlight.- Masking, there is a touch of over spray in the left forearm.
- Another highlight on the claws.


Doom of Malantai, it's a conversion of the stock finecast zoanthrope, I cut the tail off, built an armature of wire, and puttied it with a plumbing expoy called knead-it, that sets hard, then skinned it in gs, before a final couple of coats of thinned liquid GS to smooth it out. The spines are from the mawloc kit.






Next is the tyrannofex, I wasn't thrilled with the design they went for, I much prefer the codex illustration, showing the gun integrated into the lower jaw of the model. So I converted it by cutting the lower jaws off, gluing the gun to the tervigon egg sac (to represent copious amounts of ammo) and then GS'd the lower jaws to the sides of the gun, and blended the arms, jaws and egg sac together with GS.




Thirdly I have my two mawlocs. Both of these have been converted to look as though they are bursting from the ground, not sitting on top of it (basing will further add to this) and to have a second set of jaws. I used the trygons normal jaws, then trimmed and glued the mawloc mandibles to the back of the jaw bone, build and armature of brass wire between the two sets, and GS'd webbing ontop of that.






Finally I have a pic of HALF the termagants I require for this list. The only "conversion" I've done to them is to bend their tails to give the models a little bit more movement and character.




Thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. Coward! Convert them all...

    Any chance of a pic from the other side of the 'fex? Hard to see what exactly you have done from that one pic.

    The scheme reminds me of something, can't think what though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll convert every miniature when you paint all of yours!

    I'll get one of those for you ASAP.

    Someone on warseer said it reminded them of smarties, no idea what that means, must be a Pom thing.

    ReplyDelete