Saturday, 8 November 2014

150 followers! And more terrain!

Wow, thanks so much guys, late last week the blog ticked over 150 followers. Thank you all so much for liking my work enough to follow me, here's to 150+ more :p

As for what I've been doing. . . well, something will remain a secret, for now.

But I can show you more of the terrain WIP that I've been doing for the tournament this weekend (damn that snuck up).

After the disaster with the chipping coating on the masks, I reapplied the finish by using a textured paint, this seemed to hold on well, and filled the gaps so that I could apply a grey undercoat, followed by Tamiya Dark Yellow spray.



This was followed by some green washes of various shades to add an aged look.




I then added a brown wash to some parts. However this ended up giving a German WW2 camo effect (no pics), a dry brush of bone, and a thin over spray of Tamiya Dark yellow sorted it out, and toned the effect down to acceptable levels.



To add some more interest to the terrain, and impart a story element to it, I clipped the fire brands from the GW flagellent kit and painted it with the airbrush to simulate fire. A rudimentary OSL effect was done in the eye sockets at the same time.



They were then stuck in the eyes of the masks, and soot was then sprayed (probably too heavily) to the eyebrows and lower lids/rims of the mask.




A while ago (18 months??) I bought a bunch of second hand terrain. In it was a whole bunch of tyranid capillary towers (24) and a bunch of CoD buildings.



These will form the basis of the next update. 

Thanks for stopping in.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool - the green and brown washes help break up the sandstone look and add that visual interest. The soot effect doesn't look too harsh on this side, though that second picture makes it look like it has a blue tint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, yeah the colour is more accurate in the first pic, it's just straight black, I think it was the evening light in the last pic making it look bluish.

      Glad you like the washes, while I was doing them they seemed really harsh to me, but the overspray at the end helped a lot. I might add some more green moss like washes after I add the aquarium plants

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. The head hills turned out very nice, the washes really bring them on and the torches in the eyes are great.

    If you can spare a set of the Nid bits send them over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I was really happy with how the fire turned out actually. First time I've tried it with an airbrush.

      The capillary towers are obviously recasts, and poor quality ones at that. I'll dig out the best ones for you and send you some pics though.

      Delete